F.A.Q.: a student’s first steps

FAQ for new students

What arrival documents do I need?

International students from non-EU, EEA, EFTA countries coming for studies to Lithuania are required to get a national visa for multiple entries D (except Ukrainian citizens with biometric passports, who are granted visa-free regime).  

If you are coming for degree studies and intend to study at Vilnius University for more than one year, you also have to apply for a Temporary Residence Permit (TRP) to stay in Lithuania. The application must be submitted after your arrival in Lithuania or after the first semester spent at Vilnius University, but no later than 4 months before the expiration of your visa. 

You can find more information about arrival matters here. 

Where do I need to bring my education documents?

Each international student is required to bring his/her educational documents and their certified copies to the Admissions Office upon arrival if they have not been submitted before by mail. (Address: Saulėtekio ave. 9, III building, room 713 A). 

Please make sure to bring the original graduation documents and their translations into English, Russian or Lithuanian language.  

NOTE: Admissions Office will not keep the original documents. 


Where can I find more information about studies at VU and meet the community?

Arriving in a new country for a longer period can be a very challenging time and there are lots of changes to cope with. We at Vilnius University are always there to help you and this is why we offer you the Orientation Week where you will get a brief guide on how to start your studies and life in Lithuania in the best possible way and will be able to get acquainted with other international students. We highly recommend you to visit Orientation Week events! You can find the program of events here. 

How do I register for studies?

From September 1 to September 30, you need to register in the e-Identity Management System (id.vu.lt). To do this, you will need your LSIC number, which you can find at lsp.lt. (you also received it by email). Once you have registered with the VU eIDMS, you will receive a new login code and a student-generated password, which will be used to log in to the University’s eServices (eStudent, VMA, VU email, office 365 accounts, VU VPN and the Eduroam wireless internet network). Once the new login credentials have been created, students need to register for their studies by logging into their eStudent account at is.vu.lt. (so you can keep track of study information) 

What is the eStudent platform?

It is an online repository of all study information related to a specific student. By logging in to the system, a student can: 


– see his/her personal data, transcripts, study plan, exam schedule, exam results, grade point average, information about received scholarschips, etc.; 

  • apply for necessary certificates, submit various requests related to your studies; 
  • print tuition fees payment receipts; 
  • choose elective courses; 
  • submit final thesis to the Electronic Thesis and Dissertation (VU ETD) Repository. 
What are the main online tools used for learning?

Vilnius University makes extensive use of online tools to make it easier and faster for students to access the information provided. Full information about them can be found here. 

How to order the LSIC card?

After registering for studies, you need to order a Lithuanian student card (LSP in Lithuanian, LSIC in English). This can be done by visiting www.lsp.lt/en. Vilnius university transfers the data about enrolled students to the LSIC system within a few weeks after signing the study agreement. Usually, LSIC is produced within two weeks. 

LSIC is a document that proves student status and gives the right to use the University library and inventory. It is also used during exams. You can find more information about the possibilities provided by LSIC here. 

At the Institute, it’s obligatory to prepare for seminars according to course outlines presented (unless there is a separate agreement with the lecturer). For lectures, you read texts if you want to read them, but you really don’t have to because lecturer will cover everything and more during the lecture than you’ll read in the text. Of course, it can happen that you’re asked to read for the lecture, but you’ll be informed about that.

How to pay my tuition fees?

International students pay the tuition fee for the first semester before the start of their studies, through the online admission system. In the future semesters, students are required to pay the semester tuition fee by the end of the first month of the semester (February – in Spring semester; September – in Autumn semester). 

Please note that in the future semesters payment for the tuition fee may be postponed or divided into 3 instalments. For more information on scholarships and finances, click here. 

Can I study with an individual study plan?

At Vilnius University students may set up an individual study plan. The individual study plan provides students with the possibility to take courses from other faculties, take more elective courses than foreseen in the study program and etc. To set up an individual study plan, you need to submit an eApplication for an individual study plan through the eStudent platform (is.vu.lt). In the eApplication students have to inform about the desired changes and provide reasons for them. The request is then taken in consideration by the Study programme committee and the Head of the Studies Department. 

Can subjects (modules), studied at other faculties, be recognized at VU TSPMI?

If you have previously studied at a different faculty or have successfully completed other courses, which provide ECTS, you may submit an eApplication via your eStudent (is.vu.lt) account for the recognition of subjects (modules)/competences. Academic certificate, proving previous courses, and course description must be attached to the eApplication. Such requests are considered by the Study program committee and the Head of Studies Department.  

How do I find out which grants and scholarships I am eligible for?

You can find out more about the different scholarships and how you can apply here: